You can get to know us by joining us on Sundays at 10 am for Sunday school and 11 am for worship, or on Wednesdays at 6 pm for a meal and Bible study. And yes, we have a nursery staffed by a caring group of volunteers. We hope you can visit us soon, but until then, let us introduce ourselves to you.
Who We Are
Union Church was organized in 1857 by members of Williamsburg Presbyterian Church in Kingstree, SC who lived south of Black River and wanted to worship closer than Kingstree which was eight miles north. William Lifrage conveyed the land for Union Church on what was then Broomstraw Road to trustees for the new congregation. The first church here was built between 1857 and the time the congregation was more formerly established in 1863. In December 1863, thirty members of Williamsburg Presbyterian Church received letters of dismissal to join Union Church with the Rev. E. O. Frierson as their first pastor. A frame building, the church has served its congregation for over 150 years. Its interior was remodeled about 1905 and a portico was added in 1947. Union's cemetery dates from 1876.
What We Believe
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone as He sovereignly chooses those He will save.
- We believe His choice is based on His grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
We Are Guided By These Documents
As a congregation in the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition, the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Shorter and Larger Catechisms are the official testimony of our faith. While we hold these documents subordinate to the Bible, they serve as a guide to our faith and help us to live in a way that glorifies God.